I have loved this appetizer from P.F. Changs and have always wanted to try it at home. I have had something very similar at some Burmese restaurants, but the filling came with some rice noodles. From my earlier post, it must be clear that I'm not a big fan of scrambled eggs. But when eggs needs to be included in the diet, this method of enjoying them makes it fun and entertaining. Here is a very quick and healthy recipe to enjoy lettuce wraps
1. Eggs - 3 nos; chilli powder - 1 tsp; turmeric powder - 1 tsp; milk - 4 tbsp
2. Carrots - 1 nos shredded
3. Onions - red, half a medium, finely chopped
4. Green capsicum - one medium or half large, finely chopped
5. Lime/Lemon juice - 1 tsp, just for the zing
6. Salt to taste, oil
7. Fresh Lettuce - 8 medium wraps
Recently, my husband B got into Salads and we were buying a lot of ready-made salads for his lunch. After reading an article about money saving tips, I realized how expensive chopped lettuce is and decided to buy the veggie myself to try it out. This was the first time I bought the entire lettuce as-is from Trader Joe's. Much to my surprise, the veggie is pretty simple to cut and clean. Peel the layers, almost like you peel onions. You can peel just the right amount that you need, wash and cut or use it for this recipe. The deeper you go, the more crispy the layers are!!
Method de Prep:
1. Beat 3 eggs with milk, chilli powder and turmeric powder till it froths a little.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped onions, green capsicum and fry till onions are golden brown.
3. Add the beat eggs and salt. Scramble well depending on preference.
4. Peel and wash lettuce wraps.
5. On each wrap, place 1 tbsp of scrambled eggs, some shredded carrot and a tsp of lime/lemon juice. Roll it like a burrito. You may use a toothpick to hold the wrap. You can serve it with some peanut sauce.
6. Other flavors I tried are mint sauce, soy sauce and even with the Peanut Salad spray from WishBone
It is a cool, simple and a healthy recipe for entertaining.
As always, Bon App everyone!