This recipe is a hit with my daughter. It is a regular upma, but thought I'll give it a spot on the blog to preserve this for eternity(!).
1. Rava - Wheat/Rice - 2 cup
2. Mixed Vegetables:
a. Cabbage - 1/2 cup
b. French Beans - 2 or 3 chopped
c. Carrot - 1/2 medium chopped
d. Peas - 1/4 cup
3. Onion - 1 medium - minced
1. Mustard - 1 spoon
2. Curry Leaves - 4 to 5 nos
3. Turmeric - 1 tsp
4. Ginger - to taste
5. Hing - 1 pinch
6. Green chillis - 2 nos
Method De Prep:
1. If the rava is not pre-roasted, gently roast the rava till it turns very light brown.
2. In a wok, heat a spoon of oil. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add Hing, curry leaves, ginger pieces, green chilli pieces and the tsp of turmeric and toss.
3. Add the onions and fry till the onions turn translucent
4. Add the mixed chopped vegetables and toss. Add salt(a little extra to support the rava that will be later added) to this mix and cover with a lid. Let the vegetables cook for about 3 mins
5. Open the lid and pour 2 cups of water. Cover and cook. The water needs to start boiling and the mixed veggies need to cook in the hot water.
6. Add the roasted rava to the boiling mix of water and vegetables and carefully toss the mix.
7. The rava cooks in the boiling water and starts turning into a pulp and then starts solidifying. Cook on medium (ensure the water isn't completely dried out) till the rava becomes soft and cooked.
8. Turn off and garnish with corriander (optional).
Hot and tasty upma is ready to be enjoyed with yogurt or Indian Pickle!