Growing up, my younger brother and myself never particularly enjoyed eating brinjal. But this was one dish that my mom did not have to convince us too much to eat. I remember how thrilled I used to feel when my mom packed thogayal sadam for lunch. Infact I used to eagerly wait for the lunch bell to sound and quickly open up my lunch box to soak myself in this happiness :). I used to help my mom to peel the roasted brinjal also and sometimes grind it for her.
Well, yesterday, the brinjal in my fridge called out to me to pay it some attention. After thinking for a few mins, I decided to remind myself of my childhood days with this thogayal
1. Brinjal/Eggplant/Aubergine - 2 nos
2. Red Chillis - 4 to 5 nos
3. Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
4. Mustard seeds for tadka - 1 tsp
5. Tamarind - 1 small piece/half tsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Asafoetida - 1 pinch
8. Onions - half, well chopped
Method de Preparation:
1. Roast the brinjal on stove. Usually big fat brinjals are chosen for this thogayal. They need to be fire roasted directly on the stove till their skin becomes nice and dark and can be easily peeled. Peel the skin and set aside the roasted brinjal
2. On a small tava, in 1 tsp of oil, add asafoetida (optional) and urad dhal. Then add onions (optional) and red chillis and roast well. Add the tamarind while roasting. If you are using a paste, you can add it now or in the next step.
3. In a mixer, add the roasted spices, brinjal and salt to taste. Blend it well to a semi smooth paste.
4. Transfer the thogayal to a bowl
5. On a tava, splutter some mustard seeds and add the seeds to the thogayal in the bowl and mix well. Add salt to taste.
That's it. You have a delish thogayal that can be enjoyed with dosa/idli. As kids, we mostly enjoyed it mixed in hot rice with a drop of ghee..MMMmmm...
Now for my tag. My friend, Sailaja tagged me:
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATER?
2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?
3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE?
5) FAVORITE SMELLS?
Sandalwood, Eucalyptus, Smell of mud before rain, Amma's cooking..endless list!
6) FAVORITE SOUNDS?
Music, Daddy's scooter stopping at home
7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
Far away from loved one
8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?
What should I pack for lunch for B n me
9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?
10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME?
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D’
do more charity work, plan for future savings
12)DO YOU DRIVE FAST?
13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?
14)STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?
Cool. esp with Hot tea and Bajji :)
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
16) FAVORITE DRINK?
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…
do more outdoor sports, have more hobbies
18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?
Chennai, Pilani, Hyd, Paris, College Station, Atlanta, San Francisco..
21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??
25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?
Depends..can do both
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
28) FAVORITE PIE?
don't like pies
29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?
What are five things on my to-do list for today (non-work related)?
Trip to Post Office,
Watch some Indian movie,
Talk to friends
What are five snacks I enjoy?
What things would I do if I were a billionaire?
Billionaire?? Buy a home, help in some way for food crisis in India and world
Now I have to tag:
Sireesha from http://momrecipies.blogspot.com/
Kalai from http://samaithupaarkalaam.blogspot.com/
Maheswari from http://publishtoday.blogspot.com/