Thursday, June 19, 2008

Burrito Senor/Senorita?

I recently received a free burrito coupon from Chipotle. Depends on my mood, but sometimes, I thoroughly enjoy a burrito. I like the idea of mixing veggies, proteins in the form of beans, some fat as sour cream/gauc and spice it all up on a wrap-burrito. While browsing thru' my pantry last evening, I have almost everything to whip up a delicious burrito. I realized there is not much of cooking in this recipe,it is just putting it all together! Here you go..enjoy the lovely colors of summer through a burrito!

Ingredients:
1. Burrito bread aka Tortilla - I had a jalapeno tomato version from a local grocery store: safeway
2. Rice - 1 cup
3. Peas - 1/2 cup
4. Corn - 1/2 cup
5. Black Beans - 1/2 cup
6. Onion - 1 medium
7. Bell Pepper - 1/2 red, 1/2 green, 1/2 yellow (just for giving a colorful look)
8. Guacamole - 3 tsp
9. Sour Cream - 1 tsp
10. Salsa - 2 tsp

Method de Preparation
Rice Prep:
1. Cook rice with 1 cup of water. The grains need to be separate after cooked
2. Cook peas in 1 cup of water in the microwave. It just needs to become soft.
3. Drain the water from peas and add it to the cooked rice


Corn Prep:
1. Cook corn for 5 mins with 1 tsp of butter and 1 tbsp of milk
2. Remove from fire, add some crushed black pepper and set aside


Black Beans, Bell Peppers and Onions Prep:
1. Chop bell peppers and onions into long slices
2. Cook bell peppers and onions separately till they brown a little and set aside
3. If you are using canned black beans, then u just need to wash them and toss them for coupla mins in a tava. Else, you need to pressure cook the black beans just for 1 whistle and add salt.



I could have made guacamole and salsa at home, but due to lack of time, I decided to go with the ones bought from the store. May be some other time, I'll get around to making those two at home.

Putting it all together

1. On a hot plate, cook the burrito for 2 mins on each side till it becomes a little soft and cooked
2. First spread the rice on the burrito
3. Follow it with black beans
4. Then goes the peppers and onions
5. Next is the yellow corn, guacamole and salsa
6. Roll it all into a big, fun burrito
7. Serve with Tortilla chips and salsa...





Bon App!

3 comments:

Sailaja said...

wow , pretty impressive.

Nice recipe Amrutha. Thanks for sharing.

mitr_bayarea said...

Amrutha,

Thanks for stopping by my blog, you have a nice place here...loved the burritos, they looked mouth-watering. Have blog-rolled you, so that I can visit your blog regularly.

Amrutha Ragavan said...

Thanks Sailu!