I had some frozen okra lying around. I've mostly made fry or used okra in sambhar. This time, I decided to bring two worlds together..the world of spicyness and okra. I"ve had this dish in couple of different varieties: Indian variety and Burmese variety. Here is what I made in the indian variety way:
1. Chopped Okra - as needed
2. Onions - 1 medium size
3. Tomato - 1 large size
4. Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
5. Jeera Powder - 1 tbsp
6. Dhania Powder - 1 tbsp
7. Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
8. Cashews(optional) - 4 nos
9. Tadka: mustard seeds - 1 tsp
10. Turmeric Powder - optional
11. Salt to taste
Method de Preparation:
1. Finely chop onions and tomato.
2. Heat some oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. After they splutter, add the urad dhal
3. Once the urad dhal turns slightly brown, toss the onions in. Fry the onions till they become transparent
4. Add the chopped tomato and turn them around. Let the tomato juices flow.
5. Add chilli powder,dhania and jeera powder. Turmeric is optional. Let the mix boil for 3 mins. Add water if the mix is too thick
6. Meanwhile, cook the chopped okra till they become soft. Make sure that they don't become squishy
7. Once the okra is cooked, add the mix of onions and tomato to okra
8. Fry the cashews and add them to the top
9. Salt the entire sabji and turn around couple of times.
A delish curry that can be enjoyed with roti/rice is ready!